Sunday, May 27, 2007

N.H.K ni Youkoso... ...

Just finished the last few episodes of Welcome to the N.H.K...One word..."Wonderful"... ...There is not much I can say about and even if I do elaborate on what the show is like... It most probably won't be able to stress how wonderful an Anime it is... All I can say is that it is not like anything I have ever seen...Yet it is familiar in a way... ...

It started out as a comedy...A great one at that (Not that all would agree) ... ...But slowly but surely it evolved...And before it knew it...It developed into a love story...Again...a great one... ...

If I were to compared it to another Anime/Manga...I would say it is most like Love Hina...The way the comedy turns in to romance...But again...It would be very wrong to say that Welcome to the N.H.K is like Love Hina... ...One reason is N.H.K's lack in the harem element...But the main and most important is that N.H.K is much more subtle in the love element at the beginning compared to Love Hina...Unlike Love Hina, where on the first few pages/episodes one can tell Keitaro has a thing for Naru, there was close to no clue that Satou was to end up with Misaki-Chan in the end...In fact there were several times I thought Satou was to live happily ever after with his Senpai (Hitomi) ... ...It is because of the subtle factor of N.H.K and its lack of "Crazy-Explode-In-Your-Face-Happiness", like in Love Hina, that makes it triumph over Love Hina, another great love story.

The thing that got me hooked to N.H.K in the first place was its comedy...To me it was not just the conversations and events that were hilarious...The atmosphere that Gonzo creates in N.H.K played a huge part to the overall effectiveness of the comedic factor of N.H.K...The animated background they set up paired up with the background music...Give it a serious yet nonsensical feel to it...The atmosphere coupled together with the hilarious dialogs of the characters gave it this special feel to it...They way seriousness is mixed with hilariousness just sort of multiplied the overall success of the comedic factor... ...

I realized that not everyone appreciates the kind of comedy that is portrayed in N.H.K, some don't even find it funny at all... ...The only possible reason I can think of is that they are not an/a Otaku/Hikkikomori enough to understand what the show is trying to put across... ...It certainly helps to be an/a Otaku/Hikkikomori to understand these Otaku/Hikkikomori caricatures... ...

What moved me most is of course the romance factor of the series... ...The way Misaki-Chan feel towards Satou and how she came to like him (No spoilers here...Go watch yourself!) and there is also the way Satou came to realize his feelings for Misaki-Chan (No spoilers) ... ...

I have decided to give a 9/10. A more accurate score would be 97/100...But I am reluctant to give it 10/10 because of two reasons... ...

1. Giving it 10/10 would mean that it is better than my favorite Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion... ...However, after much thought...I felt that it was hard to say I can't give N.H.K 10/10 because of Evangelion as they were completely different...It is true that they are both Anime...But they are of different genres and it would be unfair to downgrade N.H.K because of Evangelion.

2. I still decided to give it 9/10 as I hope, though I have my doubts, that one day...there will be another series (in the distant future) that will come along and show me that it can beat N.H.K in its genre... ...I have decided long ago that I will (mostly likely) never ever give an Anime 10/10 as I would only give that score to a perfect Anime... ...To me...There will never be a perfect Anime series, perfection can never be attained and the word "perfect" should never be taken or used lightly... ...Anime is an ever changing and ever improving art form, while it will always strive for perfection, perfection itself does not exist... ...Thus we can expect Anime to improve limitlessly... ...

I contemplated giving N.H.K 99/100...But in the end I felt that 99/100 is still too good to be true...Ha... ...

My only regret is that N.H.K ended so quickly... ...But I suppose it is also because of how short it was that it made such an impact on me... ...Kinda like a fleeting dream... ...

Oh well... ...I am currently collecting the manga series so it won't end yet... ...Ha... ...

N.H.K ni Youkoso!: Comedy, Slice of life, Psychological, Drama and Romance, all rolled into one... ...

Nihon Hitojichi Koukan-kai...BANZAI!!!!!!!

No comments: